#MondayMorningMusic – I Wanna Dance with Somebody – Whitney Houston

photo: marfis75

Books were definitely my first love, but running a close second – and actually overtaking books for a number of years in the early 1990s – was music. I was too busy hitting the clubs to read much, though I kept my connection with the written word by keeping a journal, handwriting all the drama and insanity that went hand-in-hand with the constant go-go-go.

Back in the 1980s, when I lived in Germany, I spent a few years conning my way into a club in Oberusel, two years underage (14, as opposed to 16 to get into the club). I still have zero idea how I pulled it off, given that I still can’t pass for my age on a good day.

At any rate, a German friend of mine – who I had a huge crush on – used to dance with me and once saved me from being in the middle of the very first bar fight I ever saw (as opposed to when I was in the thick of things, but that was years down the road). He kept an eye on me and made sure I didn’t do anything too stupid. He was three years older than I was, and was a saint for putting up with me for any number of reasons.

I don’t remember how Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” ended up being what I associate with CMR – I do know it was popular during this time, and we must have danced to it somewhere along the way.

I won’t make this post all maudlin – there will be a time and a place for me to write more in depth about CMR and the “too short while” and the only regrets I have in life and sadness, but it won’t be today. Today I’m content to tap my foot and sing along, love on him the only way I can, and wish he was here to dance with me.

K.J.

This entry was posted in Monday Morning Music. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to #MondayMorningMusic – I Wanna Dance with Somebody – Whitney Houston

1. Loved her music! And clubbing, too. 🙂

• K.J. Pierce says:

I only like certain songs of hers, this one being at the very top. 🙂 Clubbing is another story, although I might never recuperate if I indulged these days. Ha!

2. Mary Gillgannon says:

I think this blog is a great idea. Music is an important part of a lot of writers’ lives. I guess us creative typed are drawn to creativity. But I’m not sure my input will resonate with a lot of your writer peers. I grew up in the 60’s and my musical crushes are going to be a lot different. (For a whole year I listened to the Doors about six hours a day; I had a serious Jim Morrison obsession.) Although I loved a lot of 80’s music, I was starting a family at the time and my best memories of most 80’s songs is working out to MTV in the morning. LOL!

• K.J. Pierce says:

Thanks, Mary! I agree – music is just another form of storytelling. Don’t sell yourself short – musical crushes are all important, regardless of time period. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you that as far as my taste in music goes, it runs anywhere from old pop vocals to Tom Jones to 80s to Industrial/Alternative and pretty much everything in between. I love hearing about others’ takes on music, bands, etc, and why. (Jim Morrison was a gem… I actually live in the town where he was born). I missed most of the MTV beginnings thanks to living in Germany. 80s music is *perfect* to work out to, though! 🙂

3. Great post. I’m always listening to music. I clicked on the link and danced around the office. Thanks for the fun.

4. Mary Morgan says:

I start and end my day with music! It has helped me through the good and bad times, and my muse while I’m writing. I love this new blog idea! Looking forward to visiting on Mondays. 🙂

• K.J. Pierce says:

Hi, Mary. I wish I could say the same. I don’t listen to nearly enough music these days, something I hope to rectify. Maybe revisiting some much loved tunes will help. 🙂 Happy you stopped by!

5. cb clark says:

Music calls to me as well. If I hear an old song, it immediately takes me back to the period of time in life when I first heard that song, along with all the memories…good and bad.

• K.J. Pierce says:

I don’t usually remember the first time, but I either associate songs with specific people or a specific instance. It’s mostly wonderful, but I hear you on the good and bad memories, both. I tried to relish the former and ignore the latter. 🙂

6. Amity Grays says:

Love Whitney! Great idea, K.J. I find music can really lift my spirits. Watched an episode of criminal minds the other day, and on it, it proclaimed that there’s actually a scientific reason why we tend to bound with music from our teens. I know I have. Steve Perry’s voice still brightens my day every time.

• K.J. Pierce says:

Hi, Amity – I’m being reminded that music makes me feel sooooo much better than having the news on in the background. 🙂 I’m not surprised there’s a scientific reason – would love to know the specifics if I can track it down. I have definitely bonded with the music of my teens – the 80s in a nutshell right there. 🙂 Steve Perry – absolutely LOVE the beginning of Oh, Sherry – and the song always makes me think of watching Solid Gold (remember that?!)